LOCAL HISTORY PROJECT

Tollhouse Series 2
Click on the thumbnail image to view a full size photograph
_011th.jpg, 80 x 53, 2.1K
011th.jpg
600 x 404
30.4K

Picture shows Tollhouse, the peak, and a partly incorrect path of the original Tollhouse Grade. Tollhouse took it's name from the toll house for the privately owned Grade. The upper part of the Grade is correct but the part below the big curves continued left as can be seen on the picture. A Fresno Bee writer drew his concept of the Grade for a story he was doing. Note the new bridge replacing the ford of Big Dry Creek. The ford is right of the bridge.
circa: 1915

_012th.jpg, 80 x 53, 2.3K
012th.jpg
600 x 398
45.8K

This drawing appeared in Paul Vandor's 1919 History of Fresno County. The artist is unknown but it's purpose was to publicize Tollhouse as a good place to live and work. Shown are the store, hotel, community hall, and bar. Lumber wagons and horsemen are present and crops growing are shown. The view may be a little optimistic but it is mostly accurate. Note the first double roofed store next to the bar. Burrough Mountain in the background.

circa: 1900

_013th.jpg, 80 x 52, 1.9K
013th.jpg
600 x 392
26.9K

Probably the oldest existing picture of Tollhouse. Shown on the right are the livery stable corrals and the bar behind them. On the left is the blacksmith shop and behind it under the oak tree is the toll house for the Grade. Behind the bar are stacks of drying shakes. The start of the Grade is visible at the base of the mountain.

circa: 1880

_014th.jpg, 80 x 52, 1.9K
014th.jpg
600 x 390
29.5K

The original Tollhouse Store. This building was replaced by Max Yancey's Cash Store about the time of World War 1. It was falling apart and needed replacement. In the white shirt by the wagon is Tom Ockenden, the future builder of the big hotel about a mile below the junction of Hwy. 168 and Dinkey Road. Abe Yancey (in suspenders) and his wife (to Abe's right) are on the porch. Other people are unknown.

circa: 1880

_015th.jpg, 80 x 56, 2.2K
015th.jpg
600 x 427
26.9K

Family pictured on the porch of the first Tollhouse Store. All people are unknown. Note the Tollhouse sign, without that this picture could be anywhere.

circa: 1890

_016th.jpg, 80 x 54, 1.8K
016th.jpg
312 x 211
7.5K

Max Yancey's Cash Store which replaced the original store. The store is brand new and it doesn't yet have the wings which would be added to both sides. Leaning against the post in front of the door is Max Yancey, the builder of the store. The other people are unidentified although they probably include his wife and relatives. The "cash" sign was more hopeful than realistic as Max's daughter relates he gave credit and bartered with everyone.

circa: 1916

_017th.jpg, 80 x 51, 2.3K
017th.jpg
600 x 384
31.7K

A slightly older version of Yancey's Tollhouse Store. Here the two wings have been added. The right wing housed a small lunch bar in front and the post office in back. The left wing was for more space. The picket fence in front of the picture is the fence in front of the hotel. Note the dirt street and fence by the garden next to the store. This kept the herds of cattle and flocks of sheep which were driven through Tollhouse out of yards.

circa: 1922

_018th.jpg, 80 x 51, 1.8K
018th.jpg
479 x 309
15.4K

The Tollhouse Store with the blacksmith shop in the background. The wings have been added. Note the cottonwood growing to the left of the store. The growth of the tree would help date store pictures until the store was torn down in the 1950's. The tree would grace the third Tollhouse Store until 1994 when it was cut down. Note the store is leveled by building supports under it.

circa: 1920

_019th.jpg, 80 x 45, 1.8K
019th.jpg
593 x 336
25.6K

Bert Weldon leading his herd of cattle through Tollhouse returning from his summer grazing lease area in the national forest. Most foothill cattlemen drove their cattle to the high mountains in the spring and returned in the fall. They drove straight up or down the old grade. The Tollhouse Store is older, the paint on the front has faded and the tree has grown larger. Note the car on the right by the livery barn.

circa: 1930

_020th.jpg, 80 x 46, 1.7K
020th.jpg
508 x 293
17.1K

The Tollhouse Store is older in this picture. The sign has changed and the car in front is a more modern model. The blacksmith shop in the background has changed into a garage. It sells gas and oil. The oil sign can be seen in the picture. The roof of the Yancey house is visible behind the garage.

circa: 1935

Previous Tollhouse Series
Next Tollhouse Series
Return to Tollhouse Series Main Index
Return to Local History Index
This project was designed and created by
Bud Olson and Dan Resciniti
©1998-2001