return to Tollhouse Series 9 Index
The original "toll house" was located east of the town center at the start of the Old Tollhouse Road or the grade. The toll road operated until 1878 when it was sold to Fresno County. Fees were charged to users of the road depending on what they took up the grade. Wagons were a dime and buggies were a nickel. Horses, cattle and sheep were charged by the head.