previous / next
return to Tollhouse Series 6 Index
This picture is of the original Tollhouse Church. The site is the same as today's Mary Barton Chapel. The land for the church and adjacent cemetery was donated by the Yancey family to the community in the 1880's. The first church burned down in the fire of 1931, burning up rapidly as it was made of wood and shakes. The church was non-denominational and has remained mostly so until the present.