LOCAL HISTORY PROJECT

Auberry Series 1
Big Sandy Rancheria

Click on the thumbnail image to view a full size photograph
_001a.jpg, 80 x 40, 1.6K
001a.jpg
590 x 298
15.3K

This site is about two miles above the Indian Mission on Auberry Road. Shown is John A. Armstrong's team with a load of lumber at the old Forbes place, now known as the Bayles place.

This small flat area on the side of the mountain was mostly recently occupied by the Bob Fleming families' logging operation, which was sold in the late 1990's. For years Auberry Road split into separate lanes here and went around a huge live oak, finally cut down in the late 1960's.

circa 1880

_002a.jpg, 80 x 47, 1.9K
002a.jpg
590 x 352
19K

This is a picture of the Auberry Indian Mission located at the Big Sandy Rancheria above Auberry.

The whole Rancheria was referred to by locals as the "Mission" because of the existence of the Methodist church and school run by missionaries. The church felt that the Indians needed religion and the church was built and manned by the Methodist Church. Some of the Indians embraced the church and others did not. The two missionary ladies pictured are unidentified as of now.

circa 1920

_003a.jpg, 80 x 61, 2K
003a.jpg
550 x 421
22.2K

A picture of the Auberry Indian Mission at Big Sandy Rancheria. The picture is grainy because it was copied from the newspaper. The mission was run by the Methodist Church. Most Indian children elementary school age were sent to the church run school in North Fork. The North Fork school was a live-in situation where the students lived apart from their families. Indian traditions, e.g. language, stories and legends, etc., were discouraged by the church.

circa 1925

_004a.jpg, 80 x 54, 1.9K
004a.jpg
550 x 372
13.4K

The Auberry Indian Mission at Big Sandy Rancheria in the snow. The Mission was closed in the 1950's. A strong church still remains active at the rancheria but it is not a mission.

circa 1930

_005a.jpg, 80 x 46, 1.6K
005a.jpg
550 x 319
12K

An Indian family with their wagon and team with the Auberry Mission building in the background at Big Sandy Rancheria. A pre-automobile picture. Snow was an unusual occurrence most winters, particularly this large amount.

circa 1900

Next Auberry Series
Return to Auberry Series Main Index
Return to Local History Index
This project was designed and created by
Bud Olson and Dan Resciniti
©1998-2001