LOCAL HISTORY PROJECT

Auberry Series 6A
Old Auberry

Click on the thumbnail image to view a full size photograph
_094a.jpg, 80 x 56, 2K
094a.jpg
500 x 350
18.3K

This is the oldest surviving building in Old Auberry, the blacksmith shop. The part of this building behind the false front is the back part of today's Auberry Garage. After much modern remodeling it is nearly unrecognizable. Shown in the background right is a cafe operated by a relative of the Qualls family. The shop false front is new as can be seen in the unweathered boards.

circa 1884

_095a.jpg, 80 x 53, 2.3K
095a.jpg
500 x 334
20.4K

The Auberry blacksmith in part of the early years was Mr. Pinnell. The Pinnells were an old pioneer family and remained in the area many years. Shown in the picture standing in the doorway are the blacksmith, Mr. Pinnell and his children. The boy on the horse and the man behind him are unidentified.

circa 1884

_096a.jpg, 80 x 51, 2.2K
096a.jpg
500 x 324
18.2K

This picture shows the blacksmith shop, the Pinnells, and a Civil War veteran called "Stumpy". Obviously Stumpy has no right leg, thus the name. Stumpy's name and story are possibly true or not.

circa 1884

_097a.jpg, 80 x 52, 2.2K
097a.jpg
500 x 326
21K

With the blacksmith shop on the left, the Qualls operated cafe is on the right. Pictured in front are two ladies, one of them being Wes Qualls' great-aunt. The site is occupied today by the Ponderosa Market.

circa 1884

_098a.jpg, 53 x 80, 2.2K
098a.jpg
301 x 450
15.9K

Ernest Hoskins, Sr. and an unidentified man in front of the blacksmith shop. The shop is showing some aging and the picture is worn and cracked.

circa 1910

_099a.jpg, 80 x 36, 1.7K
099a.jpg
500 x 226
12.6K

The Auberry Garage in 1997. The blacksmith front was about 1/3 of the way from the back of this building. The tank house on the right is also one of Auberry's oldest buildings but much newer than the garage/blacksmith shop.

circa 1997

_100a.jpg, 80 x 34, 1.7K
100a.jpg
500 x 214
13.1K

The F.F. Witham Store in Old Auberry. This was Auberry's oldest store, built around 1880. It sat where Velasco's cafe sits today. Velasco's is the north wing of the L.O. Root store building which was partially destroyed by fire in the late 1970's.

circa 1911

_101a.jpg, 80 x 53, 2.1K
101a.jpg
500 x 337
19.8K

The people on the porch of the store picture in Auberry are unidentified. Note the motorcycle in front of the building. To the right of the picture is the site of Auberry Elementary School today.

circa 1911

_102a.jpg, 80 x 52, 2K
102a.jpg
500 x 326
15.1K

A close-up of the F.F. Witham store in Auberry.

circa 1911

_103a.jpg, 80 x 43, 1.7K
103a.jpg
500 x 273
15.2K

This is a picture of Auberry's main street looking north. Visible on the right is the blacksmith shop, on the left is the Youngquist Store. Behind the Youngquist Store is a gas pump and the Witham Store.There is a unreadable sign stretched across the street advertising some event or business.

circa 1920

Previous Auberry Series
Next Auberry Series
Return to Auberry Series Main Index
Return to Local History Index
This project was designed and created by
Bud Olson and Dan Resciniti
©1998-2001